It happens to just about everyone: You’re driving late at night, or you’re on a long driving stint, or you only got a couple hours sleep last night.
- What did you do the last time you got sleepy at the wheel? Did it work for you?
You may have listed some of these…but these things will not keep you awake while driving:
- Turning the volume up on the radio
- Singing loudly
- Chewing gum or eating
- Getting out of the car and running around
- Slapping yourself
- Sticking your head out the window
What to do instead:
- Stop driving. Pull over to a rest stop and sleep!
- If no rest stop or exit is near, safely pull over to the side of the road, turn on your hazard lights, and take a short nap of 15 to 20 minutes, then proceed to the nearest exit or rest stop to more fully rest.
- Napping + consuming caffeine equivalent to two cups of coffee can keep you alert enough get you to a place to rest.
- Let a passenger drive while you sleep.