Prescription medications are helpful in the right doses, at the right time, and when the user is aware of all potential side effects.
- What’s the other side of prescription medication?
- Dependency and then addiction can occur, especially to pain medication.
- Abuse can occur, especially with pain medication. The abuser can be the person who holds the prescription, or someone in the household who is stealing the medication for recreational use.
- The National Institute on Drug Abuse reports the number of prescription medicine abusers in 2014 was 6.5 million.
- Several factors have contributed to the severity of prescription drug abuse, including: drastic increases in the number of prescriptions written, greater social acceptance of using medications, and aggressive marketing by pharmaceutical companies.
- Potential overdoses are a risk associated with any prescription medication.