Traffic signs communicate to the driver what to expect on the road ahead. The color of the sign also has meaning and sends a message to the driver. Here are some common traffic sign colors and their meanings:
- Red: Red means STOP! A red traffic sign tells the driver to stop. This limits the driver from going further.
- Green: Green means go. A green traffic sign tells the driver they can proceed.
- Yellow: A yellow traffic sign stands for caution and serves as a general warning.
- Black and White: A black and white traffic sign posts regulations such as speed.
- Orange: An orange traffic sign signals construction or road maintenance. Be prepared to slow down!
- Brown: A brown traffic sign indicates local recreation areas or points of interest.
- Blue: A blue traffic sign offers information to assist the driver.
— Lisa Robinson is a senior program manager with the National Safety Council