Whether you’re using your cell phone or reading a document off the printer, you can miss hazards such as surface and elevation changes. These are common contributing factors in incidents and near-miss incidents and can result in employee injuries.
What Employers Can Do
In the spirit of keeping your coworkers safe, please intervene. It can be as simple as saying, “Please be careful!” It’s a helpful way to show you care about your coworker’s safety. Also, don’t forget to set a good example by refraining from distracted walking yourself.
How to prevent distracted walking:
- Never walk while texting or talking on the phone
- Never cross the street while using an electronic device
- Do not walk with headphones in your ears
How to avoid slips, trips and falls:
- Walking is working, so avoid walking distracted and stay focused on your surroundings
- Apply the “be here now” concept when walking to recognize and avoid distractions
- Wear shoes that are slip-resistant and that provide support to the ankle
- Don’t carry too much – you need your arms to maintain balance and stability
- Take your time and don’t rush – we can wait an extra minute for safety